More than 30 years of chimney sweeping experience at Barnhill Chimney Company
Barnhill Chimney Company and its sweeps have more than thirty years of collective experience with chimneys — and we do it all! From traditional, “open” fireplaces to old fashioned coal burning fireplaces; from wood stove inserts to shallow “Rumford” fireplaces; from gas logs to pizza ovens. Whatever your chimney system, we can help you keep it in top condition.
Our inspections are based on the National Fire Protection Agency 211 code requirements. Click here to learn a little more about chimney inspections, how they are carried out, and why they are important.
Why have your chimney inspected and cleaned?
Having your chimney inspected and cleaned regularly (we recommend annual checkups):
- Helps prevent chimney fires by removing flammable buildup from chimney walls
- Helps prevent water damage to your chimney and expensive appliances
- Helps prevent bird or animal entry
- Allows efficient burning, saves on costs, and prolongs life of your chimney and attached appliances
- Can remedy creosote or “sooty” odors and prevent harmful vapors in the home
What happens during a chimney sweeping?
A standard cleaning:
- Takes about 1-2 hours, depending on your individual fireplace and chimney*
- Includes a complete NFPA 211 safety inspection of your chimney, fireplace and flue
- Can be scheduled Monday through Friday
- Comes with a no-mess guarantee
- Includes a full camera inspection of your flue, if applicable
- Can involve a look at your dryer vent too
- Finishes with a complete report, including color photos and in-depth explanations!
We’ve found all sorts of things in chimneys, from broken soda bottles to angry raccoons, and we are happy to remove bird nesting and animal debris (except for nesting chimney swifts), and even the occasional live animal. We use HEPA vacuums and drop cloths to keep the mess out of your carpets and valuable furnishings.
Our experienced and friendly sweeps will walk you through the process and take the time to explain to you what is happening with your chimney and outline your options if anything needs to be done. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and show you how to get the best out of your chimney and fireplace.
Helpful homeowner tips for chimney sweeping
Schedule your sweep in the spring or summer! We are less busy then and can accommodate you much more quickly. We also travel further during this season and can reach more out-of-the-way locations. In addition we often offer discounts during these slower times of year. There’s no reason to wait til it gets cold to get your chimney ready for next winter!
*Unusual or complicated systems may take more time and/or cost more to sweep.